6/25/10

Quick Change: Re-purposed Coffee Can.

Being a naturally creative person is quite challenging at times. Although I enjoy doing creative things and completing projects, my mind is always spinning with ideas to do this or that (I'm sure I drive Mr. S bonkers sometimes!). So, never one to succumb to boredom, I got a crazy idea to re-purpose an empty coffee can. I love taking objects that serve a specific purpose then making them over into something completely different! Total cost of can: Zero dollars (we had it already thanks to our shared coffee addiction). Total cost of scrapbook paper: Zero dollars, as I already owned it. Taking care of the 3 R's (reduce, reuse, recycle) in one project: Priceless. Here it is in all its metal glory before the ol' makeover:



And after:




Here's a shot of the back. Since my scrapbook paper wasn't wide enough to cover the can, I simply cut a small strip at the top of the paper and just attached it to create a seam. No ruler needed! No, it's not perfect, but it doesn't need to be since no one will see it. This coming from a Type -A control freak, mind you!

This project literally took five minutes from start to finish, and it's such a simple yet fun addition to our home office. All you need is a coffee can, some scrapbook adhesive (glue or double-sided tape would work just as well), scrapbook paper (I used acid-free scrapbook cardstock) and some little jewels with a sticky backing if you want to add some bling. That's all there is to it! F-R-E-E pencil/pen/colored pencils/thingamabob holder! An added bonus? It smells like coffee still, even though I washed it out before snazzing it up. Score!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! A coffee smelling pen holder would be great for my desk. Wonder if it would actually perk me up? Love to see you bein' green chica!

Mrs. Style said...

I don't know if it actually would work as a pick-me-up Charity, but try it! Let me know how it works out :) Thanks for stopping by!