These sweet little treats contain all natural ingredients (maybe minus the vanilla extract?) and are full of fiber. As of this morning, I am proud to say that I am no longer a store-bought-granola-bar shopper! Instead, I headed to my go-to website AllRecipes.com for all things culinary and found a ridiculously simple AND healthy recipe for...wait for it.............homemade granola bars! Healthier and cheaper- can't beat it! And since I'm so generous, I want to share the recipe with all of you so that you can taste the fresh-baked awesomeness!
Oh My Gosh Granola Bars
Yields about 6-8 squares/bars
- 2 cups rolled/quick oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- About 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Craisins, raisins or other dried berry (optional)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (if desired, swap half or all of the oil with applesauce- this will change the taste and consistency slightly)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C), ignoring the crazy lady in the reflection of the cooking range.
2. Using cooking spray, generously coat a 9x13 inch baking pan.3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, wheat germ, nutmeg, brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Stir in Craisins or dried fruit (optional). Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. 4. Using your hands, mix well until mixture is thoroughly blended. 5. Pat the mixture into the greased pan as evenly as possible, pressing down as needed. If using chocolate chips, spread the chips over the mixture and press into the mixture as much as possible.
6. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the mixture begins to turn golden brown around the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars/squares while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, as this will make them difficult to cut.
(I have no idea why that corner piece on the right is missing a chunk. I swear.)
Serve and enjoy!